Friday, June 22, 2007

The Friday Groove

As always, Hip Hapa likes to drop the jazzy rhythms on you to kick your weekend off right.

I know we already got this song playing on the tuner but I just love the video...

Mos Def- Umi Says


*** The Friday Groove Extra:

Here is a funny little story that happened last Friday that I have been wanting to share. Now, before I give you the details I have to lay down some background information. Ever since I can remember my father and I have had this on going joke about haole-kine and their mishaps with wasabi at sushi restaurants. Twice my father has seen unsuspecting sushi-newcomers take big chunks of wasabi and stick-it in their mouths. The ensuing red-face, beads of sweat and panicked water drinking always gives us a good chuckle.

However, never in a million years would I have thought it, but the opposite happened last week while out at dinner. As I was conversing with a friend of a friend who had recently arrived from Japan I noticed that the girl was tearing at the eye, turning red and had a shocked look on her face. As I looked down at her plate at what she had eaten it dawned on me, "Oh s*#t! Jalapenos don't exist in Japan!"

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I ain't no perfect man/I'm trying to do, the best that I can/With what it is I have?" This line has always struck me as powerful. It reminds me that our parents, be it as recent immigrants or as parents who were struggling in times of Loving, segregationist or just down-right hatred, are not perfect, but do the best they can in light of struggles. Our parents did not have the immediate opportunities to kick back nor a Dr. Spock to tell them how to raise a family. Thanks Mix 76 for putting this up--even if your post did not touch on this. Ha--take that for artistic interpretation! Peace, fabian

4:28 PM  
Blogger Mix76 said...

I appreciate the comment man. I'm always glad when one of my posts sparks some thought and emotion.

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home